“Yes Lord Zuhair, I am ready” spoke Raam from the saddle of his tall warhorse. He gently patted the neck of his mount as he looked up to meet the eyes of his friend. All appearances of lordship and nobility were removed for this trip north, save for the Baron’s gold signet ring. He wore his dark green cloak of magical Elven make and dressed in rugged traveling clothes fit for the long, cold road ahead.
“Lord Akiros, I have heard tale of your brave adventures in foreign lands and your re-appointment as paladin under the graces of Sarenrae. You are like the lands surrounding this keep, reclaimed and redeemed. I am honored by your place within our group and your dedication and support in the days since the fall of the Stag Lord.”
“I look forward to sharing this journey with both of you. Akiros, please take point on the road ahead and Lord Zuhair and I will fall back a distance to discuss a private matter as we ride forth to visit our old friend, Oleg.”
As Akiros rode forth a short distance, Raam and Zuhair held the reins of their mighty war mounts to hold a steady position a distance back.
“Lord Zuhair I wish to read you a letter delivered to the other members of our original party this morning.” With those words, Raam removed a scroll from inside his cloak and read the contents aloud. As he finished he held the scroll aloft and flames from his hand incinerated the document. He blew gently into his hand, scattering the ashes in the wind.
“Lord Zuhair I realize that you have recently left your quarters within the Keep. I strongly suspect the reasons behind this decision. I apologize for any intrusions upon your privacy. I also hold myself accountable for the disconnect in responsibilities within domestic affairs. Let me be clear on this, you are responsible for all domestic security matters. You will work with Chase to be apprised of all potential domestic threats, but you must assert your authority so that situations like the discovery of these damned secret tunnels is not brought to light in public court. It is an embarrassment to us both.”
“I trust in your abilities and judgment. On an ongoing basis I wish you to present at the monthly Council of Lords on status of domestic issues and updates on potential threats. If you feel your authority is not being respected or if you face obstacles please bring these concerns to me immediately. We must re-dedicate ourselves to working as a team, for the Gods know our enemies will be organized and dedicated in trying to steal from us that which we hold dear.”
With those words Raam once again locked gazes with Zuhair, “Lord Zuhair, do you agree with the words I have spoken? “