The following letter was delivered to Lord Balian, Lord Chase and Lord Fisalellenelvial via a vellum scroll sealed with a wax imprint of the Baron’s signet ring. Raam’s personal courier delivered all scrolls on the morning before he departed for Oleg’s trading post. The contents of the letter will be delivered in person to Zuhair on the trip to Oleg’s.
Lords of Stagfell,
I have been deeply troubled by the recent events within our fledgling kingdom. On our expedition to rid the region of the Worg threat, our fellowship united in cooperation as a single honed blade, which drove deep into the heart of the foul beast. In matters of state, however, we have been unfocused, acting at cross-purposes and not minding the domains of each respective Lord.
I am dedicating myself to re-forging the leadership of this kingdom into a weapon of similar diplomatic and economic might. We have wasted more energies protecting and unearthing secrets within our small group than has been put to preparation in facing threats foreign and domestic. From henceforth this group will act as one, with singular focus.
Lord Fisalellenelvial,
You have spent too many hours secreted away in that laboratory of yours. I would challenge you to become more ingrained in matters of state. I have cleared a district in preparation for an eventual academy to be guided by your hand. Your perspective and years of knowledge are a resource to this kingdom and should be utilized to their fullest. I would like a report on preparations for the construction of the academy and obtaining apprentices by our next council of Lords.
Lord Chase,
I wish you to re-purpose your time and network to begin a catalog of all foreign entities, which may influence the Greenbelt. I wish to compile a document containing all known entities of state, merchants guilds and private factions of influence. I wish to know the intimate details of the men and women in positions of power within these organizations, their strengths, their weaknesses and their vices.
From henceforth all domestic operations will be conducted in partnership with Lord Zuhair. As Warden of the city he is point on all domestic matters. I will not again have a peasant fool stumbling upon unknown secret entrances to our treasury or my chambers because one hand of this leadership council is unaware of the other. You will meet with Lord Zuhair on a weekly basis to work in unison on all domestic threats.
When assessing all foreign threats you will report directly to myself and we will keep Lord Balian in close consort on all matters impacting foreign diplomacy.
Once a month at the council or Lords you will present a summary of all findings fit for such a venue. Matters of national secret will be shared only within our small group.
All operations concerning the monitoring of our original group will cease immediately. It has created discord and an aura of mistrust. I will accept the consequences of this decision. From henceforth you will remain in the shadows and respect Balian as the mouthpiece and negotiator of this kingdom.
Lord Balian,
I would challenge you to work with our Lady Treasurer to form strong economic alliances in the short term. Gold, even more so than the sword, may guard the gates of a kingdom. Please work closely with Lord Chase to utilize the information he obtains to your advantage in all negotiations. Remember that in diplomacy, the field of battle is not governed by the same rules as the code to which you are accustomed.
On the convening of the next Council of Lords I would like a report on all possible alliances broken down by strategic military and economic advantage. I will work with you personally to begin forming those diplomatic ties. You alone are the mouthpiece of this kingdom and authorized to negotiate on its behalf. You are my second and in charge of the Kingdom during any absences.
Lords,
You are all individual men of great power and resource. I know that this challenge will fall easily upon your strong shoulders. Only by acting in unison may we hope to overcome the difficult challenges ahead. Please pay heed to the words above as I will expect to see reports of progress upon my return.
I have copied you all on notices sent to the other Lords of the kingdom. The words above were for your eyes alone. What has been copied below is to keep you informed of all ongoing matters of state.
May the days and weeks ahead find you well and productive.
Baron Raam Corso
CC: Lord Keston,
I have received reports of troll activity in the region. Please prepare the men for such a threat. Lord Fisalellenelvial will have resources of alchemical fire, which would be of great use, but the men must be trained with such a weapon. Please work to incorporate our new dwarven allies into our forces as quickly as possible. I am very pleased with the progress we have seen thus far, but I wish to see a military force created which is the envy of all foreign states. I know you are up to such a task.
CC: Lady Treasurer,
I am pleased to see the coffers of the kingdom filling once again. I applaud your acumen with the balance sheet of this kingdom, I wish however to become more proactive. Please complete the necessary research to compile and present a report on future expansion opportunities for our kingdom. What economic areas should be our short term, medium and long term focus? When is the opportune time to found a new city within our lands? What location would provide the greatest impact in terms or trade and resources? Please be prepared to report on these matters at the next meeting of the council of Lords.
CC: Lady Ella,
Congratulations on your appointment to the position of Counselor. I have enjoyed your company and advice over the past months and am confident you are up to the challenges ahead. Please work closely with the other Lords during my short absence to monitor their progress and provide necessary support. Continue work on the plans for the festival to celebrate the formal opening of the Keep. I would like a report on your progress at the next Council of Lords.