Monday, January 3, 2011

Humility borne upon a northern wind.

"Thank you Zuhair" Raam replied with a relieved sigh. "I have no love for Worg or wolf after our many encounters in the Riverlands. It was you who came to my aid that night as my caravan was set upon by the beasts."

"I will allow Chase his eccentricities. If he wishes to provide board for the foul beasts and they cause no trouble then I will not make them my concern. He understands that he is held fully accountable for their behavior. Perhaps they may be redeemed?"

"Besides," Raam replied as he pulled the cowl of his cloak low over his face to try and block the fierce northern winds into which they road, "despite Chase's social 'issues', I do believe he does wish the best for the settlers of our lands. If he considered the worgs a threat he would put them down. He needs to come to terms with the fact that despite his pride, he is part of something larger than himself. I believe that will be a long and painful lesson for him to learn. I have some experience in long and painful lessons learned myself."

"Regarding the settlers from your lands, I welcome them with open arms. If you believe they will be honest and productive citizens then they will find safe harbor within our kingdom. I will, however, not see the Greenbelt used as a pawn in the conflict with Taldor. They are a large and powerful nation who could cause many troubles for our people if they believed we were agents in some larger conflict. I look to you to manage that risk with your leaders. Please engage Balian on all matters of diplomacy."

"Now we must move ahead so as not be thought rude to Akiros, our traveling companion." With that they both tapped the horses with their spurs to close the gap and ride alongside the Paladin. The three horses fell into a steady, rhythmic pace as they inched closer to Oleg's.

Despite the biting wind, Raam preferred riding upon this lonely road to the pending meeting with Oleg ahead. His concern for Balian and his inaction in reining in Chase had embarrassed and humiliated Oleg, a man who had been very kind to Raam when Raam Corso had no where else to turn. He would make right with the man, he vowed silently. Raam could be considered many things, but disloyal to his friends he was not. If Svetlana truly loved Oleg and did not wish to be with Balian then it is her choice. He should not have interfered.

"I let my power go to my head and thought I could meddle in the hearts and minds of those around me without consequence." he muttered under his breath and grimaced silently. "Another lesson in humility amongst so many."

With that thought completed, he focused on the road ahead thanked the gods for the warm blue amulet hidden under his cloak, which would fend off any sickness borne by the cold, cruel northern wind.