Sunday, November 21, 2010

Letters home: Raam Corso #1


Sent to Kalek Corso, Raam’s cousin prior to leaving for the Stag Lord’s fortress…
Kalek,
Dear cousin, I hope this letter finds you well. You have undoubtedly heard about what happened with my father. The anger and frustration has begun to pass and the void is slowly filling with regret. Mother’s passing was hard on us all and without her there to hold the family together, what happened was, in my mind, inevitable. Father is a good man, but we are different men and could no longer exist under the same roof. If only I were more like you…
Even though we are so different, I will always value our friendship. The time spent together in our youth seems such a distant memory. In a practical sense you are my only family now. I know you will bear the Corso name in my stead and live up to those expectations and responsibilities. I am sure, now more than ever, that such a life of faith and sword was never my destiny, but it is yours. Such things come easily to you and that is no slight or judgment. My time away from home has expanded my understanding of people and their differences.
I found myself literally set upon by the wolves of the wild in my initial journey from home. Luckily (and didn’t father always curse at my uncanny luck?) I was rescued by a very unique cast of characters. Such a group might be found in the storybooks at the estate, Kalek!
One is a foreign cleric, who wields a giant exotic blade. Though his mind is not nearly as sharp as his weapon, the man possesses a kind heart and a humble wisdom.
Another is an odd elf always mixing together herbs and the dung of some beast into the most powerful of concoctions. He even drinks the stuff and it gives him great powers. Were he not always setting us ablaze with his potions! One must always keep one eye trained on him in battle. Yes Kalek, I have been in many battles!
The next is a man of noble birth much like us. He is quiet but very sharp of mind. He has a mammoth war steed of great power. Though he doesn’t speak much of his past, I think he may have issues with his family similar to my own. Did I mention he has been set upon by a fey curse?!?
The last is a Tiefling! Though he is an odd sort…he wore a hooded cloak for days on end…I do believe I am growing to respect him. He seems possessed to find someone he has recently lost. An enviable pursuit, given I truly have no one to lose.
Our group has made it our mission to rid the region of the bandits that have plagued these good people. Can you believe I have joined a cause Kalek? I have fought, bandits, bears, wolves that speak, giant frogs an even a troll! I burned it with my magical fire. My magic abilities are growing by the day and I am constantly meditating to try and understand more about what I am and my potential.
I send this letter because we are off for a great battle with the Stag Lord. He is the ruler of the bandits in the region. If he falls the bandits will crumble into chaos without his leadership and this region will know real peace and security. If I should fall, I invite you to take up arms with my comrades. They are known as the Redeemers. I will to you all my earthly belongings. Please tell father I do love him….but only if I pass. If I live I would like to see him again and tell him myself.
Peace and strength be with you my cousin,
Raam