
Lord Varn sat at the end of the long table in Castle Redmeption’s main hall, surrounded on either side by his diplomatic contingent. The man seemed ill at ease. Raam could tell that the long hours of negotiation had worn him down. He was a military man, a former mercenary. His face carried the scar of some blade wound from the distant past. Even when relaxed, which was a rare sight, the man carried a grim countenance upon his brow. He was a man of action and not a man used to making measured responses.
Raam sat on the other end of the table with the Writmaster on one side and Calia the treasurer on the other. He leaned forward with his fingertips pressed together, eying Lord Varn closely.
“Lord Varn, the trade and mutual defense proposal that sits in front of you is in the best interest of both of our kingdoms. The increased trade would fuel development and expansion, and the combined military might of both of our nations would give foreign enemies pause before acting in aggression. We have spent many days hammering out the terms and conditions, and have bargained in good faith and yet I see by the look upon your face that you are hesitant to sign the document. Might I ask what reasons give you pause?”
Lord Varn looked down at the document and then up again at the young Baron. “Lord Raam, I have spent many years of my life fighting in wars across these lands. In all of those many conflicts, not once have I looked to a bundle of papers for comfort and security. These documents are meaningless unless I know that I might trust the man who places his seal upon them.” Having spoken those words Lord Varn looked the Baron in the eye and focused on his reaction.
The Writmaster stood up in his chair, “You would question the honor of….”
“Stand down” Raam said sternly to the Writmaster as he placed his hand on the shoulder of the man. “Lord Varn speaks the truth. The document is worthless without faith in the honor of those who would place their marks upon it. Lord Varn, would you join me for a private walk through the courtyard of the Castle? I believe that a moment to stretch our legs away from the negotiating table might be in order?”
“Yes, I believe a respite from this paperwork would help a great deal” Varn replied.
Raam led Lord Varn into the inner courtyard of the Castle which contained the Royal Gardens and began to walk along the path which circled the interior perimeter.
“Lord Varn, you remind me a bit of my father. He is also a man who understands the value of honor and commitment” Raam said as he walked with his hands clasped behind his back.
“Lord Miras, I will speak to you frankly. I have heard several reports coming from your kingdom which give me pause. You speak of your father and yet I know your relationship is estranged. There is word that you are controlled by the Fey. I’ve heard reports that your kingdom employs a devil spawn. I look into your eyes and I see an honest man and yet I am unable to reconcile my instincts with that information which has been given to me as fact.” Lorn Varn paused and Raam could see the discomfort ease from his face as if asking those questions had lifted a burden off of his shoulders.
“I have met with you a great deal in the past weeks, and I know my daughter is quite fond of you. So now I give you an opportunity to speak to my concerns, man to man. I did not wish to raise these questions in front of bureaucrats.”
Baron Raam paused and looked Varn in the eyes. He could see the sincerity in the man’s questions. “Lord Varn, in the short time we have spent together I have grown to know you to be an honest man. The words just spoken comparing you to my father were not words of flattery, they were sincere. I will speak to you now in confidence, for if we are to prosper together we must speak to each other without reservation.
My father is a High Priest of Abadar and sits upon the council which will decide the fate of the conflict between north and south. He wishes to maintain his position as neutral arbitrator above all else for he knows the ramifications will be dire if there is war. He is also aware that my kingdom, as was yours, had assistance from certain benefactors who wished these wild lands to be tamed. His position of neutrality would be put in jeopardy if it was known that his own son had founded a kingdom under such terms. The choice was mine to renounce my people and maintain my name or to lose my heritage and hold true to what has been built here in this kingdom. My loyalties are to my people, Lord Varn. That is the truth behind your report on my father.
I would also say that yes, what you refer to as a “devil spawn” is in the employ of my kingdom. I would also tell you that the man is a devout follower of Erastil and was the very man to slay the Staglord atop this hill many moons ago. This is the same man who organizes the patrols that safeguard the rural people of this kingdom. I would also wager that you would agree that noble blood does not ensure a just and honest man, just as tainted blood does not ensure deceit. He has proven himself time and time again in the face of great adversity. Though his manners are a bit lacking and his tongue might know a bit of restraint, I believe wholeheartedly that you will find this man to be honorable.
As to the Fey, I have indeed formed an allegiance with a fledgling Fey Court in the northern woods. In exchange for the protection of a parcel of forested land, the Fey have agreed to not interfere with trade on the northern roads into and out of Leveton as well as to not disrupt logging operations in the deep woods. As you know, politics is not as straightforward as combat, Lord Varn, and it sometimes requires unexpected compromise.
I have made these decisions, above all else, to safeguard the lives of my people. I will stand before you and answer any question you advance, for I feel no shame in the decisions I have made….for even if those decisions are proven to be mistakes, they were made for the right reasons.”
Lord Varn stood for a moment reflecting upon Raam’s answers. “You are a charismatic man, young Baron. In meeting your court over the last few weeks I also know that you are lucky to have powerful and honorable allies. I look into your eyes and listen to your words and I now feel like I know the man behind that document on the table.”
“I will sign the pacts.”
Raam bowed slightly, “Thank you Lord Varn. The Kingdom of Miras welcomes you as an ally and partner. I would, however, ask of you one more favor…”
“Speak your request” Varn replied.
“You mentioned your daughter, Lady Arianna Varn. She is a beautiful and strong willed young woman…”
“Yes” replied Lord Varn. “I have tried to do my best to raise her as a Lady, but she has my blood in her veins. She is spirited and full of life. She worth more to me than all of the wealth of the Riverlands.”
“I would ask you, Lord Varn” said Raam as he straightened his shoulders and clasped Varn’s hand, “I would ask you to grant me her hand in marriage, if she would accept my proposal.”
For the first time Raam saw Lord Varn taken aback. He fell back on his heels a bit momentarily and then quickly steadied himself.
“I would vow to treat her with honor and respect and value her as the greatest treasure not only in the Riverlands, but all of Golarian” Raam said sincerely.
“Raam, I grant you my permission” said Varn with a slight smile “but Arianna’s will is her own, if she agrees to the marriage, you have my blessing.”
“Thank you, Sir” replied Raam with another short bow. “I am honored by your blessing. Now we should return to the table as we have paperwork to attend to before the dinner tonight. To the kingdoms of Varnhold and Miras and may they be gifted with a thousand years of prosperity!”
***********************************************
Shortly after the discussion with Lord Varn, Raam spotted Roland in the hallway outside of his quarters.
“Roland, where is she?” Raam asked quietly.
“She is in your library, Lord Baron” Roland replied quickly.
Raam walked the hallway to his private study. His every footfall seemed to echo like a hammer upon an anvil in his mind. Raam shook his head to steady himself a bit. He thought of his mother. He thought of sitting at her bedside as she passed into the next world. He thought about true love and legacy and what he was about to do. He thought about his mother’s final words to him before her eyes closed for the last time…
“You will do great things, Raam...”
He was about to honor her memory.
Raam stepped up to the door to his study, which was slightly ajar, and slowly pushed it open. He found Arianna sitting in his leather chair with a book propped open on her lap. She was wearing a bright red blouse and tight tan riding pants. Her auburn hair was pulled up and the Fey orchid, which still remained as bright and alive as the day Raam plucked it from the garden, was in her hair.
“Might I disturb you Lady Arianna?” Raam asked softly.
“I would love that. I grow tired of reading. You have so many books on dragons. Some of them are quite frightening” she said playfully. “How are the negotiations? How is my father?”
“Your father is well, the pacts have been signed and there is to be a feast tonight” Raam said with a smile.
“Fabulous!” Arianna replied as she leapt up from the chair. “Then there is occasion to celebrate” she said as he walked up to Raam and pushed him gently back against the wall and kissed his neck. “Perhaps you will allow me to handle that sword of yours tonight. I would like to see what might be done with it in the hands of a truly skilled master of the blade like myself“ she said as she laughed into his collar.
Raam pulled her back for a moment and caught her bright green eyes with his own. “Arianna, you are a beautiful woman and you are full of spirit and substance” Raam said softly.
“Are you courting me Lord Baron, because if you are you must try much harder” she said while smiling back at him. “Or are we going to be serious for a moment, because I believe in the three weeks I have been in your city I have seen you drop that charming act of yours long enough to be serious perhaps once or twice” she said with a mischievous grin.
“Do you enjoy the city, Arianna?” Raam asked.
“I suppose I do” she said. “It is quite exciting. Alchemist festivals, duels in the street, flying from place to place, sailing on your ship on the Tuskwater, the Fey Wine…. I am going to miss it quite a bit when I have to leave next week.”
“Will you miss me?” he asked.
“Oh didn’t you know that I am courted by Barons every day?” she replied. There is a line of them at my door in Varnhold waiting for me as we speak. “I am quite the prize I’ve been told” she replied laughing once again.
“Will you miss me?” he asked again.
For a second the smile on Arianna’s face faded. “You know I will” she replied. “Why are we speaking of this now. Tonight we should celebrate. It is not time to part. I do not want to think of that now.”
Raam paused for a second and closed his eyes momentarily to steady himself. He opened his eyes and exhaled slowly. He could see concern in Arianna’s face.
“Arianna, would you stay with me in Stagfell? Would you marry me and be the Baroness of Miras?” As he asked the question he held his hand against the wall to steady himself, quietly hoping she did not notice.
He could see the realization set in on her face as she absorbed the question he had just asked of her. At first her face was puzzled, then shocked and then slowly a smile appeared.
“Yes” she said.