Friday, June 24, 2011

Family


Rana al Hassein folded her arms across her lap and addressed the man on the otherside of the desk. "Lord Hansel, I'm here because I need help. As you know, my brother was exiled last year. I have not heard from him in some time and I'm beginning to worry."

The owner of Heroes of Miras was a stick of a man. He wore his long coat in the Taldon style, exposing his hairless chest, his black hair was greased into a single, long pony tail and his goatee was slicked down to a sharp point.

Zuhair could snap this man like a twig, she thought. Rana missed the reassurance of her brother's large form and the way crowds would clear a path for them when they traveled through the city. These days she had to shoulder her way down the streets and guard her pouches like everyone else.

"Lady Hassein, as you know, your brother has been named traitor to the kingdom. This request of yours would border on treason itself. The risk would be... great." Hansel's steepled his fingers remained still but his face gave away everything.

Rana was well versed in the art of reading body language. Her father had insisted she be involved in all of his dealings since she was old enough to count. This man was not concerned with being called a traitor but in getting as much gold out of the deal as possible.

"My father's trade contacts to Stagfell have been very good to us. Name your price."

A couple nights later Rana found herself outside her estate. Through the windows she could see the house servants busy lighting the candles. As she reached for the gate she noticed a small form slipping through the shadows across the street. Am I being followed?

Rana pulled a small candle out of her pocket and said a prayer to Sarenrae and a spark hit the whick of the candle. "Who's there?" she called out, and a moment later the shadow form appeared in the street. As he approached he threw back his hood to reveal a scaled face.

"I Serklik, Hero of Sootscales," whispered the kobold as he reached for Rana's candle.

"You can't take my candle!"

"I no take candle." Serklik's whiskers twitched in annoyance. "I want light out."

Rana blew out the candle and asked, "Who are you again? Why are you following me."

"I Serklik! Hansel send me to get money. He accept your mission."