The Forgotten Son Returns
Cold nearly skeletal hands held onto Rogerk's vest with surprising strength. Rogerk tried to resist the pull on his clothes but was none the less dragged closer and closer to the thin frail voice he wanted so desperately to avoid. The voice smelling of rot and decay dripped with contempt as it spoke.
" You are an even greater disappointment than even your mother. If you still refuse to fulfill your duty then you are no longer need here! This will be your last chance to do what is right. Will you return to your senses and ease your families burden? "
Rogerk quickly began searching for the words that would free him of this obligation and yet appease his uncle to pass quietly onto Pharasma's care. For once his clever tongue which had talked him through many dangerous situations felt covered in lead and failed to rescue him.
" Uncle you know I can not. Many blame me for the cause of our sudden decrease in good fortunes. The family has enjoyed fame and fortune under your careful eye. Under mine I feel it will wilt like a ill cared for Lilly. "
Rogerk quickly began searching for the words that would free him of this obligation and yet appease his uncle to pass quietly onto Pharasma's care. For once his clever tongue which had talked him through many dangerous situations felt covered in lead and failed to rescue him.
" Uncle you know I can not. Many blame me for the cause of our sudden decrease in good fortunes. The family has enjoyed fame and fortune under your careful eye. Under mine I feel it will wilt like a ill cared for Lilly. "
" Begun from my sight! You dare to use the thoughts of others to defend your own selfish desire to leave us! How do you know what the others think! Is that another GIFT from your bastard of a father!? We have been doomed in Brevoy since we discovered these other noble families are nothing but backstabbing cowards. You have refused me for the last time. You are no longer a nephew to me! Your responsibilities will instead fall to Maegar when he comes of age. I will have my Master at Arms, Collab, take our family down south to the unclaimed lands. Their we may have a chance to build ourselves a place to call home once more. "
Rogerk reeling in shock of what just happened was released and pushed back. Stumbling backwards Rogerk felt the stool behind him too late. Losing his balance Rogerk began his tortoursly slow descent to the floor below. All the while his wide open eyes captured the details he would have missed had he been in charge of his senses. His mother screaming his name as she was carried away by Collab the Master of Arms. His Uncle's look of equal parts hate, contempt and sadness as the stretcher carrying his disease addled body was carried out of the room. Maegar's tear filled eyes were the last thing he saw before the floor beckoned him into unconsciousness.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk's spine stiffens in response to the memories and jerks him awake. Running his fingers through his unkempt hair Rogerk breathes in a deep breath and takes in his surroundings. A small room lit only by the light of the full moon reveals it's details slowly. Too slowly. Rogerk whispers a quick word and feels his father's bloodline dance at the release of power within him. A halo barely noticeable before shines like a miniature sun over Rogerk's head. A warm body laying in bed with him stirs and then snuggles deeper under the covers. A bare feminine leg and a tangle of wavy red curls upon the sleeping woman's brow quickly remind Rogerk that he was " entertaining " the bar maiden Tika in his room when he must have fell asleep. Indeed she had been most energetic and demanding. It was no wonder he had slipped off to sleep.
It had been years since he had thought of his uncle and that unfortunate night and now he had thought of it three times in a month's span. By the time he had awaken that night his family had already left. No clues had been left for the other noble families to use to track them down. The house simply disappeared over night like a morning fog. Rogerk had found himself left with the rest of the trash and a hauntingly empty manor. That thought among a hundred others cut deep into Rogerk's soul. He had tracked them down over the years but fearing that he would be unwelcome or even blamed for any bad fortune that had happened over the years he was gone had failed to announce himself.
Only upon the death of his mother had Rogerk felt a overwhelmingly strong desire to announce himself to his estranged family. Fear had won that day as well as Rogerk had waited until the deepest half of the night to pay his respects at his mother's burial site.
Rogerk ran his hand through his hair once more to shake these depressing thoughts away from his conscious. Still this was the third time in a month he had recalled this overly repressed memory. Rogerk feared to look upon his family but knew that it was highly possible he was being warned that danger loomed in his families future. Tomorrow he would have to face his fear and commune with his god Cayden. But that was tomorrow and Rogerk needed a distraction to get back to sleep. Brushing his fingertips over Tika's back Rogerk thought perhaps he had found a solution to at least one of his problems.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk entered the Friendly Merchant tavern deep in the Underbridge district of Magnimar and sat down at his usual table. Flashing a smile at Tika a fresh ale and a clean cup quickly found it's way across the room and onto his table. Rogerk looked around the room and sized up the random chaotic jumble of races, creeds, and occupations. All were free men and women doing as they dreamed and pleased. None were chained to anything other than their own desires. A perfect place to commune with Cayden the Lucky Drunk and if rumors were true Rogerk's father. Reaching into his backpack Rogerk pulled out an extremely rare drink of brandy as well as a dagger believed to have belonged to Cayden himself when he was still mortal. Pouring the brandy carefully into a cup Rogerk kept for his clerical duties and really great brew he placed it in the middle of the table. Placing the dagger to lay against the side of the cup Rogerk closed his eyes and quietly began to chant the necessary prayer to grab the attention of Cayden or at least one of his subordinates. Rogerk was not aware of how much time had passed before he felt that a otherwordly presence seated across the table from him. Rogerk opened his eyes to see a prostitute seated across from him. Rogerk was about to explain that she needed to move but noticed that a halo of blue and purple light seemed to flow from her and wrap back into her.
" Thais? " Rogerk asked cautiously
" Yes - that is one of your questions. 4 remain now. " Thais responded with a disarming smile.
Rogerk cursed himself under his breath. He had used one of his precious questions to ask her name! Thais was a prostitute that had traveled with Cayden in his mortal years. Upon her death Cayden had claimed her soul for his own and had infused her with his power making her his Accidental Herald. A perfect companion for the Accidental God. He must not underestimate her again. She would do her best to make him ask his questions in ways that would leave her room to be vague or worse respond with riddles.
" Cayden must have sent you himself I suppose this means the dagger was indeed his once upon a time then." Rogerk mutters under his breath.
" No - you suppose wrong. The dagger belonged to me though Cayden did carry it from time to time as a good luck memento."
" I did not ask that as a question! "
" Your information was incorrect - I merely corrected it. When one supposes it's a guess, or at best an assumption both can be corrected or therefore answered. Three questions remain now. " Thias suppresses a laugh.
Rogerk stops himself from letting his anger get the best of him. He still had three questions. He could still find out all the information he truly desired as well as the fate of his family. Swallowing his anger Rogerk continued.
" I have been having dreams - no - recalling a past incident that haunts me as of late. I believe these dreams are a way of you or Cayden telling me that something is happening with my family back in the River Kingdoms. Am I correct that I need to return home?"
" Cayden does not tell one where he must go. He only offers suggestions." Thais smiles and takes the cup form the middle of the table for a drink.
" Very well. I seek a way to gain more experience and skills so that I may also pass the Test of the Starstone. How may I do this?"
" If you heed Cayden's suggestion you will find all you need to prepare yourself for your lofty goal."
" What has befallen my family in the River Kingdoms that Cayden himself sends me suggestions as well as his one and only herald to answer my questions then? "
" I simply came for my dagger. " Thais laughs and continues before Rogerk can interrupt her.
" Cayden seeks to help all free men in doing the right thing. These events would simply transpire without your knowledge if he did not at least inform you. It is still your free will to assist or ignore the happenings back in Varnhold. "
" Varnhold? They have settled and named it then?"
" Your questions are up. I thank you for the drink, conversation, and the return of my dagger. " Thais stands to leave and begins to quickly rise upward to the ceiling.
" Wait! Is Cayden my real father? " Rogerk shouts at the disappearing herald.
" Cayden is father to all that would worship him faithfully . . . but he is more of a father to some lucky few. "
Thais replies as she fades into nothingness at the touch of the ceiling.
Rogerk found himself alone at his table once more. The cup now empty of it's precious cargo and the scabbard the dagger had been resting in a vacant reminder that Thais has indeed visited him. Rising to his feet Rogerk knew that the time to face his fear of rejection was long overdue. He would make way with all haste to Varnhold. Calling in some favors both mundane and magical in nature Rogerk knew he could reach the far end of the Avistan region in a mere five days time.
*********************************************************************************
A flash of light and a echo of lightning-less thunder rolled across the plains as the teleportation circle faded around Rogerk. Rogerk felt the cold hard ground and whispered a quick spell of protection from the cold before raising his eyes from the ground. He was the nearest he had been to his family in almost 5 years. Excitement and fear coursed through his body in overpowering amounts. Calling upon a figurine of power from his backpack Rogerk looked at the little figure and felt a twinge of regret. The cracks were much larger now; this was to be the last time the little horse statuette preformed it's magic for him. Rogerk summoned the magical horse for it's last ride and quickly headed East. Varnhold was only a few miles away now.
Rogerk paused a short distance outside of the Varnhold. An enemy encampment was positioned all around the town. The flag unknown to Rogerk whipped about in a frenzy due to the northern winds. The flag was a simple design of a white shield with a thick red vertical stripe down the eastern half and a red dragon centered in the middle. Rogerk rode with every intent to break through the lines and join his family inside the foggy mist that hid Varnhold when he was thrown to the ground. His magical horse had reached it's limit. With a toss of it's mane the horse turned once and galloped off into the sun finally free of it's enchantment. Rogerk was picking himself up off the ground when a young guard wearing the unknown flag approached him. Quickly casting a little charm Rogerk befriended the guard before he had more of a chance to become suspicious and dangerous. The guard appeared confused for a brief moment before he recovered and stepped forward.
" Nasty spill m'lord. Do you need any help? We gots ourselves a cleric about. I can get him for you if needed. "
" No that will not be needed. Thank you. You seem quite courteous for an attacking force. " Rogerk responded as he dusted himself off.
" Attacker m'lord? I am afraid I don't understand. We won't be attackin'. Lord General Balian was very clear on that. We are just to observe and stop the mist creatures from runnin' too far into Miras. "
" You are not besieging Varnhold? And the mist is an excellent defensive measure? "
" Oh noes m'lord. Never that. Miras and Varnhold are allies we is. We came as soon as we could when we discovered the troubles. I ain't much of a fighter meself. I'm just here as a reserve."
" Well in that case where my I find your leader? I wish to find out what is happening and offer my help. "
" Oh well that's a long story m'lord. You best come into the camp and the boys and I will fill you in as best we can. Some of the palace boys have more facts than I do's. They were their when Duke Raam awoke. An excellent timing that! No one can beat our Duke . . . well except maybe the fey. Almost killed him once it seems. Enchanted he was. Frozen like a statue. I'll explain. Keep comin' no need to be shy. "
Rogerk confused by the way events were transpiring once more followed his new " friend " into the encampment.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk arrived at the town of Stagfell and made his way to the Castle - Fort Redemption. He had enchanted the guards and warriors back at the encampment and knew that Miras had a very complex and strange history but that all the tales he had heard were true. The zone of truth had double checked each and every tale and all rang with incredible truth. The Duke Raam and the other Lords of Miras were a powerful force and would be headed to Varnhold as soon as able. They would attempt to vanquish this Fellnight Queen who imprisoned Varnhold and threatened the region. Rogerk meant to be involved in this quest for the sake of his family and his ultimate goals. Cayden's influence was evident everywhere as these people fought obstacle after obstacle chasing impossible dreams of forming a kingdom to call their own.
Two guards wearing full plate positioned spears to block Rogerk's path as archers positioned themselves to assist if trouble arose. Rogerk raised both his empty hands and dismounted a short distance outside of the deadly spears range.
" I seek an audience with Duke Raam or Lord General Balian. I bring word from Varnhold and offer some measure of aid in the coming battle."
" Neither of the Lords are present at the moment. Be off with you. " Replied the spear man on the right.
Rogerk could see these guards were going to be trouble and put a little extra force behind his next smile.
" Surely a worshiper of Cayden will be welcome in the effort to put down the Fellnight Queen. I only mean to help. "
Rogerk saw the spell take effect and the guards unease disappear like a morning dew. Both flashed each other smiles and turned to tell the archers to stand down.
" A worshiper of Cayden is most welcome. You are welcome inside but the Lords are truly not about. They just left a few moments ago to join the encampment around Varnhold. "
" Hmmm . . . most disappointing. I'll be sure to catch up to them but before I do can you show me to this famous wine cellar you have here? I hear it's wonderful and I could use an icebreaker before meeting Duke Raam. "
" Of course right this way. We know just what to take to him. It'll be a real treat. "
*********************************************************************************
Having picked up the wine cask Rogerk summoned an angelic psuedodragon and had tasked it with guiding him the fastest and most direct route to the encampment. The angelic guide now flew a small distance ahead and above of Rogerk and his borrowed horse. Rogerk had just arrived at the encampment when he noticed several new arrivals. All were dismounting and heading in different directions. One a blande haired Taldan made his way to the main tent at the center of camp. Rogerk asking a quick blessing from Cayden dimensional hopped inside the tent and awaited the arrival of Duke Raam.
"Greetings Duke of Miras. I am Rogerk and I believe we have business together. Will you have a cup of wine with me? Your keep has a fantastic choice of wines. I took the liberty of borrowing one to break the ice so to speak."
"Normally I would be a bit surprised to find a stranger in my tent, drinking my wine..." Raam said, pausing after his words to look over the man more carefully.
Rogerk dressed in his battle gear appears to be relaxed while pouring two equal glasses of wine. A holy symbol of Cayden dangles from around Rogerk's neck and bounces off his breastplate. A single morning star sheathed and peace wrapped remains at Rogerk's side. A shield also bearing Cayden's symbol rest next to the wine cask. The only oddity is the broken gold chain tied to Rogerk's left wrist and the dim halo that hangs over Rogerk's head.
"But after the events of the last few months, little in this world surprises me any more. State your business Rogerk. Why is it that you have come to speak with me?"
Raam then sat down in a chair at a small table in the pavilion tent and beckoned Rogerk to join him.
Rogerk nods and smiles as Raam sits down.
Bringing the two equal glasses of wine Rogerk sits down across from Raam.
Taking a sip of his wine " As I said excellent choice in wine." Rogerk takes another sip before speaking again.
" I have three reasons to be here. One is personal and I can tell you freely. One is both private and spiritual and is something I will share with a potentially ally. The third is private but will cause nor you, your kingdom, nor any thing you hold dear any harm. " A slight pause to let it settle in before continuing.
" My name is Rogerk and I used to call Varnhold home once upon a time. While I was out traveling abroad I heard of it's plight and returned home as fast as I could. That is my personal interest. My second reason is that I recently did a commune with Cayden and he told me that the knowledge, skills, and experiences I need to acquire my third reason are here in Miras and the surrounding area. I therefore seek to establish a residence here in Miras until my goals are meet. Seeing an opportunity to make myself useful and show my good intentions I decided to announce myself. Hopefully you will allow an ally to settle down in your interesting little dukedom. "
"Interesting" Raam said as he looked Rogerk over more carefully and then took a sip of the wine.
"Yes, you are quite right. I do have excellent taste in wine." he said with a wry smile.
"On a more somber note, I am sorry for what happened to your homeland in Varnhold. Nasty bit of business with an undead sorcerer. We will do our best to rebuild the city once more pressing matters are attended to...." he said, again pausing to sip from his cup , reflecting for a moment.
"I believe an old friend by the name of Mahr left me a case of this particular vintage. I will not ask how you acquired it, for I'd rather not know. I've grown to understand that the security of my keep has been lacking since....."
Raam then paused for about ten seconds of seemingly intense concentration.
"Well, I'd say it's been terrible since the inception of my kingdom. The area was probably more secure when it was in the hands of the bandits. My group broke into that fortress and killed everyone, so take that for what you will. Nevertheless, I pride myself on possessing the ability to reduce anyone who causes me trouble to a charred cinder. Fortunately, that leaves the truly great minds of the kingdom free to run the important operations like; the brothels, taverns and illegal gambling rings. Best we leave security to the dullards and incompetents."
"So to your offer. I have great respect for your God, Cayden Cailean. I grew up in the home of a priest of Abadar. Good god, but terribly boring. I admire your devotion to a deity with a bit more liberal sense of moral latitude. That will be important if you wish to thrive in this kingdom."
Raam then drained the entire contents of the wine cup. He raised his hand and whispered an incantation. The wine bottle floated in the air and filled the cups of both men at the table.
"I appreciate your first and second reasons for joining our Kingdom. To be terribly honest with you, I'll pay no mind to the mystery behind your third reason. You will find that all of the individuals of prominence within this kingdom have some skeleton or another in their cedar lined closets."
Raam drained half of the second cup of wine and paused before saying:
"I only ask of you two things:
First, you will prove yourself by aiding us in our immediate task. We seek out a foul fey witch who trapped me in a prison of stone. I would very much like to see her dead. If you survive and show yourself to be capable, then you will have a home and opportunity within the kingdom.
Second, and again assuming you do survive, you are welcome to establish a following to your God within the kingdom. We have had a rash of intolerant religious zealotry that needs to be counter balanced. They tried to shut down a brothel!?! That kind of dogma shakes my confidence in society, itself.
Do we have a deal?" Raam asked with his usual charming smile as he extended his hand.
Rogerk flashes a smile full of merriment and confidence. A full body laugh escapes his lips and fills the small tent.
" An honest politician?!? By Cayden what madness has the River Kingdoms fallen too? " Rogerk laughs again and downs his glass of wine in a quick gulp before continuing.
" First you have to excuse your guardsmen. I can be quite the silver tongued snake charmer and they had little reason to suspect me of malice. They were very helpful in fact. " Gestures to the wine cask.
" Also I have no skeletons in my closet that bite if that makes you feel better. In fact my third mysterious reason is more of a goal and just a very personal one. I might share it with you once we know each other a little better than now." Rogerk shrugs and continues
" Well honest Duke I accept most of your conditions as they were my original intent. I journeyed here to rid Varnhold of this mist and have found that it is due to some Fey nonsense. I'll gladly help you kill your fey queen. " Rogerk pauses and then takes on a more serious tone.
" However as a follower of Cayden I will not force my religion ONTO anyone FOR anyone. Cayden says “do good, enjoy life, have a drink now and then, and stand up for what you believe in.” He'd be very upset with me if I tried to stop a person's right to choice. I agree that closing a brothel IS madness but it is not something I can help you with. I'd be more than happy to bring the worship of Cayden to your people but as I have said the choice is theirs to make. Please be aware though that if these zealots try to close MY church . . . it might be . . . messy. If that is still acceptable. "
Rogerk returns to his confident smile and extends his hand in return.
" I'm so glad Arianna found someone with your character to marry. "
"Ahhh, well then. I'm afraid I must be the bearer of further bad news. Lady Arianna Varn has passed. She and the crew of her boat, The Silver Swan, were set upon by a river kraken on a journey to Absalom. All perished. Very much a shame as she was a fine woman of honorable character. The curse that has befallen the land and people of Varn was vicious and all encompassing I am afraid."
Raam raised his wine cup,
"To Arianna Varn, we mourn your loss."
Rogerk looks dazed for a moment and then clears his throat.
" Yes to Arianna. You and many others will be missed. "
A quick incantation under his breath fills the glass with a liquid that Rogerk quickly swallows to complete the toast.
The Baron then quickly downed what was left of his second cup of wine.
"As to your concerns about my words on prosletyzing, know that our kingdom is founded upon the ideals of freedom of spirit and will. My comments about our recent spate of ills with religious orders was in jest. We had trouble with a cult of Norgorber, that was more than mildly annoying, as they tried to kill me repeatedly. On top of that we have had internal squabbles due to one of our own allowing religious zeal stand in the way of common sense."
Raam looked distant for a moment as he remembered his old friend Zuhair.
Rogerk nods in agreement and allows Raam his moment of reflection.
"Practice your religion how ever you wish. Our group and kingdom was founded upon friendship. Whosoever wishes to join us must only give what they take, and that currency is friendship and loyalty."
"Now perhaps you should meet the others" and with that Raam opened the tent flap and beckoned Rogerk outside to meet Balian who was sharpening his blade in front of the tent nearby.
Rogerk stands from his chair and follows Raam to the tent flap but pauses and speaks softly to the Duke of Miras before leaving the tent.
" An all encompassing curse you call it. That is a fitting title but to what crime did our forefathers commit to deserve such cruel and seemingly never ending torment. I will offer you my friendship and loyalty but you may want to consider denying it as it only seems to bring misery to those we of the Varnhold love and call friend or family. "
"Nonsense" Raam replies. "You'll soon find that some of my best friends in the world are cursed. Trouble yourself no more on this. Ahhh, here is Sir Balian Shrike, my Lord General and most trusted friend and ally."
Rogerk reeling in shock of what just happened was released and pushed back. Stumbling backwards Rogerk felt the stool behind him too late. Losing his balance Rogerk began his tortoursly slow descent to the floor below. All the while his wide open eyes captured the details he would have missed had he been in charge of his senses. His mother screaming his name as she was carried away by Collab the Master of Arms. His Uncle's look of equal parts hate, contempt and sadness as the stretcher carrying his disease addled body was carried out of the room. Maegar's tear filled eyes were the last thing he saw before the floor beckoned him into unconsciousness.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk's spine stiffens in response to the memories and jerks him awake. Running his fingers through his unkempt hair Rogerk breathes in a deep breath and takes in his surroundings. A small room lit only by the light of the full moon reveals it's details slowly. Too slowly. Rogerk whispers a quick word and feels his father's bloodline dance at the release of power within him. A halo barely noticeable before shines like a miniature sun over Rogerk's head. A warm body laying in bed with him stirs and then snuggles deeper under the covers. A bare feminine leg and a tangle of wavy red curls upon the sleeping woman's brow quickly remind Rogerk that he was " entertaining " the bar maiden Tika in his room when he must have fell asleep. Indeed she had been most energetic and demanding. It was no wonder he had slipped off to sleep.
It had been years since he had thought of his uncle and that unfortunate night and now he had thought of it three times in a month's span. By the time he had awaken that night his family had already left. No clues had been left for the other noble families to use to track them down. The house simply disappeared over night like a morning fog. Rogerk had found himself left with the rest of the trash and a hauntingly empty manor. That thought among a hundred others cut deep into Rogerk's soul. He had tracked them down over the years but fearing that he would be unwelcome or even blamed for any bad fortune that had happened over the years he was gone had failed to announce himself.
Only upon the death of his mother had Rogerk felt a overwhelmingly strong desire to announce himself to his estranged family. Fear had won that day as well as Rogerk had waited until the deepest half of the night to pay his respects at his mother's burial site.
Rogerk ran his hand through his hair once more to shake these depressing thoughts away from his conscious. Still this was the third time in a month he had recalled this overly repressed memory. Rogerk feared to look upon his family but knew that it was highly possible he was being warned that danger loomed in his families future. Tomorrow he would have to face his fear and commune with his god Cayden. But that was tomorrow and Rogerk needed a distraction to get back to sleep. Brushing his fingertips over Tika's back Rogerk thought perhaps he had found a solution to at least one of his problems.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk entered the Friendly Merchant tavern deep in the Underbridge district of Magnimar and sat down at his usual table. Flashing a smile at Tika a fresh ale and a clean cup quickly found it's way across the room and onto his table. Rogerk looked around the room and sized up the random chaotic jumble of races, creeds, and occupations. All were free men and women doing as they dreamed and pleased. None were chained to anything other than their own desires. A perfect place to commune with Cayden the Lucky Drunk and if rumors were true Rogerk's father. Reaching into his backpack Rogerk pulled out an extremely rare drink of brandy as well as a dagger believed to have belonged to Cayden himself when he was still mortal. Pouring the brandy carefully into a cup Rogerk kept for his clerical duties and really great brew he placed it in the middle of the table. Placing the dagger to lay against the side of the cup Rogerk closed his eyes and quietly began to chant the necessary prayer to grab the attention of Cayden or at least one of his subordinates. Rogerk was not aware of how much time had passed before he felt that a otherwordly presence seated across the table from him. Rogerk opened his eyes to see a prostitute seated across from him. Rogerk was about to explain that she needed to move but noticed that a halo of blue and purple light seemed to flow from her and wrap back into her.
" Thais? " Rogerk asked cautiously
" Yes - that is one of your questions. 4 remain now. " Thais responded with a disarming smile.
Rogerk cursed himself under his breath. He had used one of his precious questions to ask her name! Thais was a prostitute that had traveled with Cayden in his mortal years. Upon her death Cayden had claimed her soul for his own and had infused her with his power making her his Accidental Herald. A perfect companion for the Accidental God. He must not underestimate her again. She would do her best to make him ask his questions in ways that would leave her room to be vague or worse respond with riddles.
" Cayden must have sent you himself I suppose this means the dagger was indeed his once upon a time then." Rogerk mutters under his breath.
" No - you suppose wrong. The dagger belonged to me though Cayden did carry it from time to time as a good luck memento."
" I did not ask that as a question! "
" Your information was incorrect - I merely corrected it. When one supposes it's a guess, or at best an assumption both can be corrected or therefore answered. Three questions remain now. " Thias suppresses a laugh.
Rogerk stops himself from letting his anger get the best of him. He still had three questions. He could still find out all the information he truly desired as well as the fate of his family. Swallowing his anger Rogerk continued.
" I have been having dreams - no - recalling a past incident that haunts me as of late. I believe these dreams are a way of you or Cayden telling me that something is happening with my family back in the River Kingdoms. Am I correct that I need to return home?"
" Cayden does not tell one where he must go. He only offers suggestions." Thais smiles and takes the cup form the middle of the table for a drink.
" Very well. I seek a way to gain more experience and skills so that I may also pass the Test of the Starstone. How may I do this?"
" If you heed Cayden's suggestion you will find all you need to prepare yourself for your lofty goal."
" What has befallen my family in the River Kingdoms that Cayden himself sends me suggestions as well as his one and only herald to answer my questions then? "
" I simply came for my dagger. " Thais laughs and continues before Rogerk can interrupt her.
" Cayden seeks to help all free men in doing the right thing. These events would simply transpire without your knowledge if he did not at least inform you. It is still your free will to assist or ignore the happenings back in Varnhold. "
" Varnhold? They have settled and named it then?"
" Your questions are up. I thank you for the drink, conversation, and the return of my dagger. " Thais stands to leave and begins to quickly rise upward to the ceiling.
" Wait! Is Cayden my real father? " Rogerk shouts at the disappearing herald.
" Cayden is father to all that would worship him faithfully . . . but he is more of a father to some lucky few. "
Thais replies as she fades into nothingness at the touch of the ceiling.
Rogerk found himself alone at his table once more. The cup now empty of it's precious cargo and the scabbard the dagger had been resting in a vacant reminder that Thais has indeed visited him. Rising to his feet Rogerk knew that the time to face his fear of rejection was long overdue. He would make way with all haste to Varnhold. Calling in some favors both mundane and magical in nature Rogerk knew he could reach the far end of the Avistan region in a mere five days time.
*********************************************************************************
A flash of light and a echo of lightning-less thunder rolled across the plains as the teleportation circle faded around Rogerk. Rogerk felt the cold hard ground and whispered a quick spell of protection from the cold before raising his eyes from the ground. He was the nearest he had been to his family in almost 5 years. Excitement and fear coursed through his body in overpowering amounts. Calling upon a figurine of power from his backpack Rogerk looked at the little figure and felt a twinge of regret. The cracks were much larger now; this was to be the last time the little horse statuette preformed it's magic for him. Rogerk summoned the magical horse for it's last ride and quickly headed East. Varnhold was only a few miles away now.
Rogerk paused a short distance outside of the Varnhold. An enemy encampment was positioned all around the town. The flag unknown to Rogerk whipped about in a frenzy due to the northern winds. The flag was a simple design of a white shield with a thick red vertical stripe down the eastern half and a red dragon centered in the middle. Rogerk rode with every intent to break through the lines and join his family inside the foggy mist that hid Varnhold when he was thrown to the ground. His magical horse had reached it's limit. With a toss of it's mane the horse turned once and galloped off into the sun finally free of it's enchantment. Rogerk was picking himself up off the ground when a young guard wearing the unknown flag approached him. Quickly casting a little charm Rogerk befriended the guard before he had more of a chance to become suspicious and dangerous. The guard appeared confused for a brief moment before he recovered and stepped forward.
" Nasty spill m'lord. Do you need any help? We gots ourselves a cleric about. I can get him for you if needed. "
" No that will not be needed. Thank you. You seem quite courteous for an attacking force. " Rogerk responded as he dusted himself off.
" Attacker m'lord? I am afraid I don't understand. We won't be attackin'. Lord General Balian was very clear on that. We are just to observe and stop the mist creatures from runnin' too far into Miras. "
" You are not besieging Varnhold? And the mist is an excellent defensive measure? "
" Oh noes m'lord. Never that. Miras and Varnhold are allies we is. We came as soon as we could when we discovered the troubles. I ain't much of a fighter meself. I'm just here as a reserve."
" Well in that case where my I find your leader? I wish to find out what is happening and offer my help. "
" Oh well that's a long story m'lord. You best come into the camp and the boys and I will fill you in as best we can. Some of the palace boys have more facts than I do's. They were their when Duke Raam awoke. An excellent timing that! No one can beat our Duke . . . well except maybe the fey. Almost killed him once it seems. Enchanted he was. Frozen like a statue. I'll explain. Keep comin' no need to be shy. "
Rogerk confused by the way events were transpiring once more followed his new " friend " into the encampment.
*********************************************************************************
Rogerk arrived at the town of Stagfell and made his way to the Castle - Fort Redemption. He had enchanted the guards and warriors back at the encampment and knew that Miras had a very complex and strange history but that all the tales he had heard were true. The zone of truth had double checked each and every tale and all rang with incredible truth. The Duke Raam and the other Lords of Miras were a powerful force and would be headed to Varnhold as soon as able. They would attempt to vanquish this Fellnight Queen who imprisoned Varnhold and threatened the region. Rogerk meant to be involved in this quest for the sake of his family and his ultimate goals. Cayden's influence was evident everywhere as these people fought obstacle after obstacle chasing impossible dreams of forming a kingdom to call their own.
Two guards wearing full plate positioned spears to block Rogerk's path as archers positioned themselves to assist if trouble arose. Rogerk raised both his empty hands and dismounted a short distance outside of the deadly spears range.
" I seek an audience with Duke Raam or Lord General Balian. I bring word from Varnhold and offer some measure of aid in the coming battle."
" Neither of the Lords are present at the moment. Be off with you. " Replied the spear man on the right.
Rogerk could see these guards were going to be trouble and put a little extra force behind his next smile.
" Surely a worshiper of Cayden will be welcome in the effort to put down the Fellnight Queen. I only mean to help. "
Rogerk saw the spell take effect and the guards unease disappear like a morning dew. Both flashed each other smiles and turned to tell the archers to stand down.
" A worshiper of Cayden is most welcome. You are welcome inside but the Lords are truly not about. They just left a few moments ago to join the encampment around Varnhold. "
" Hmmm . . . most disappointing. I'll be sure to catch up to them but before I do can you show me to this famous wine cellar you have here? I hear it's wonderful and I could use an icebreaker before meeting Duke Raam. "
" Of course right this way. We know just what to take to him. It'll be a real treat. "
*********************************************************************************
Having picked up the wine cask Rogerk summoned an angelic psuedodragon and had tasked it with guiding him the fastest and most direct route to the encampment. The angelic guide now flew a small distance ahead and above of Rogerk and his borrowed horse. Rogerk had just arrived at the encampment when he noticed several new arrivals. All were dismounting and heading in different directions. One a blande haired Taldan made his way to the main tent at the center of camp. Rogerk asking a quick blessing from Cayden dimensional hopped inside the tent and awaited the arrival of Duke Raam.
"Greetings Duke of Miras. I am Rogerk and I believe we have business together. Will you have a cup of wine with me? Your keep has a fantastic choice of wines. I took the liberty of borrowing one to break the ice so to speak."
"Normally I would be a bit surprised to find a stranger in my tent, drinking my wine..." Raam said, pausing after his words to look over the man more carefully.
Rogerk dressed in his battle gear appears to be relaxed while pouring two equal glasses of wine. A holy symbol of Cayden dangles from around Rogerk's neck and bounces off his breastplate. A single morning star sheathed and peace wrapped remains at Rogerk's side. A shield also bearing Cayden's symbol rest next to the wine cask. The only oddity is the broken gold chain tied to Rogerk's left wrist and the dim halo that hangs over Rogerk's head.
"But after the events of the last few months, little in this world surprises me any more. State your business Rogerk. Why is it that you have come to speak with me?"
Raam then sat down in a chair at a small table in the pavilion tent and beckoned Rogerk to join him.
Rogerk nods and smiles as Raam sits down.
Bringing the two equal glasses of wine Rogerk sits down across from Raam.
Taking a sip of his wine " As I said excellent choice in wine." Rogerk takes another sip before speaking again.
" I have three reasons to be here. One is personal and I can tell you freely. One is both private and spiritual and is something I will share with a potentially ally. The third is private but will cause nor you, your kingdom, nor any thing you hold dear any harm. " A slight pause to let it settle in before continuing.
" My name is Rogerk and I used to call Varnhold home once upon a time. While I was out traveling abroad I heard of it's plight and returned home as fast as I could. That is my personal interest. My second reason is that I recently did a commune with Cayden and he told me that the knowledge, skills, and experiences I need to acquire my third reason are here in Miras and the surrounding area. I therefore seek to establish a residence here in Miras until my goals are meet. Seeing an opportunity to make myself useful and show my good intentions I decided to announce myself. Hopefully you will allow an ally to settle down in your interesting little dukedom. "
"Interesting" Raam said as he looked Rogerk over more carefully and then took a sip of the wine.
"Yes, you are quite right. I do have excellent taste in wine." he said with a wry smile.
"On a more somber note, I am sorry for what happened to your homeland in Varnhold. Nasty bit of business with an undead sorcerer. We will do our best to rebuild the city once more pressing matters are attended to...." he said, again pausing to sip from his cup , reflecting for a moment.
"I believe an old friend by the name of Mahr left me a case of this particular vintage. I will not ask how you acquired it, for I'd rather not know. I've grown to understand that the security of my keep has been lacking since....."
Raam then paused for about ten seconds of seemingly intense concentration.
"Well, I'd say it's been terrible since the inception of my kingdom. The area was probably more secure when it was in the hands of the bandits. My group broke into that fortress and killed everyone, so take that for what you will. Nevertheless, I pride myself on possessing the ability to reduce anyone who causes me trouble to a charred cinder. Fortunately, that leaves the truly great minds of the kingdom free to run the important operations like; the brothels, taverns and illegal gambling rings. Best we leave security to the dullards and incompetents."
"So to your offer. I have great respect for your God, Cayden Cailean. I grew up in the home of a priest of Abadar. Good god, but terribly boring. I admire your devotion to a deity with a bit more liberal sense of moral latitude. That will be important if you wish to thrive in this kingdom."
Raam then drained the entire contents of the wine cup. He raised his hand and whispered an incantation. The wine bottle floated in the air and filled the cups of both men at the table.
"I appreciate your first and second reasons for joining our Kingdom. To be terribly honest with you, I'll pay no mind to the mystery behind your third reason. You will find that all of the individuals of prominence within this kingdom have some skeleton or another in their cedar lined closets."
Raam drained half of the second cup of wine and paused before saying:
"I only ask of you two things:
First, you will prove yourself by aiding us in our immediate task. We seek out a foul fey witch who trapped me in a prison of stone. I would very much like to see her dead. If you survive and show yourself to be capable, then you will have a home and opportunity within the kingdom.
Second, and again assuming you do survive, you are welcome to establish a following to your God within the kingdom. We have had a rash of intolerant religious zealotry that needs to be counter balanced. They tried to shut down a brothel!?! That kind of dogma shakes my confidence in society, itself.
Do we have a deal?" Raam asked with his usual charming smile as he extended his hand.
Rogerk flashes a smile full of merriment and confidence. A full body laugh escapes his lips and fills the small tent.
" An honest politician?!? By Cayden what madness has the River Kingdoms fallen too? " Rogerk laughs again and downs his glass of wine in a quick gulp before continuing.
" First you have to excuse your guardsmen. I can be quite the silver tongued snake charmer and they had little reason to suspect me of malice. They were very helpful in fact. " Gestures to the wine cask.
" Also I have no skeletons in my closet that bite if that makes you feel better. In fact my third mysterious reason is more of a goal and just a very personal one. I might share it with you once we know each other a little better than now." Rogerk shrugs and continues
" Well honest Duke I accept most of your conditions as they were my original intent. I journeyed here to rid Varnhold of this mist and have found that it is due to some Fey nonsense. I'll gladly help you kill your fey queen. " Rogerk pauses and then takes on a more serious tone.
" However as a follower of Cayden I will not force my religion ONTO anyone FOR anyone. Cayden says “do good, enjoy life, have a drink now and then, and stand up for what you believe in.” He'd be very upset with me if I tried to stop a person's right to choice. I agree that closing a brothel IS madness but it is not something I can help you with. I'd be more than happy to bring the worship of Cayden to your people but as I have said the choice is theirs to make. Please be aware though that if these zealots try to close MY church . . . it might be . . . messy. If that is still acceptable. "
Rogerk returns to his confident smile and extends his hand in return.
" I'm so glad Arianna found someone with your character to marry. "
"Ahhh, well then. I'm afraid I must be the bearer of further bad news. Lady Arianna Varn has passed. She and the crew of her boat, The Silver Swan, were set upon by a river kraken on a journey to Absalom. All perished. Very much a shame as she was a fine woman of honorable character. The curse that has befallen the land and people of Varn was vicious and all encompassing I am afraid."
Raam raised his wine cup,
"To Arianna Varn, we mourn your loss."
Rogerk looks dazed for a moment and then clears his throat.
" Yes to Arianna. You and many others will be missed. "
A quick incantation under his breath fills the glass with a liquid that Rogerk quickly swallows to complete the toast.
The Baron then quickly downed what was left of his second cup of wine.
"As to your concerns about my words on prosletyzing, know that our kingdom is founded upon the ideals of freedom of spirit and will. My comments about our recent spate of ills with religious orders was in jest. We had trouble with a cult of Norgorber, that was more than mildly annoying, as they tried to kill me repeatedly. On top of that we have had internal squabbles due to one of our own allowing religious zeal stand in the way of common sense."
Raam looked distant for a moment as he remembered his old friend Zuhair.
Rogerk nods in agreement and allows Raam his moment of reflection.
"Practice your religion how ever you wish. Our group and kingdom was founded upon friendship. Whosoever wishes to join us must only give what they take, and that currency is friendship and loyalty."
"Now perhaps you should meet the others" and with that Raam opened the tent flap and beckoned Rogerk outside to meet Balian who was sharpening his blade in front of the tent nearby.
Rogerk stands from his chair and follows Raam to the tent flap but pauses and speaks softly to the Duke of Miras before leaving the tent.
" An all encompassing curse you call it. That is a fitting title but to what crime did our forefathers commit to deserve such cruel and seemingly never ending torment. I will offer you my friendship and loyalty but you may want to consider denying it as it only seems to bring misery to those we of the Varnhold love and call friend or family. "
"Nonsense" Raam replies. "You'll soon find that some of my best friends in the world are cursed. Trouble yourself no more on this. Ahhh, here is Sir Balian Shrike, my Lord General and most trusted friend and ally."



