A lone rider set a blistering pace up the road to Carseld Manor. The hill sat on the convergence of the Shrike and Thorn rivers and the air was thick with summer humidity. With the cowl of a cloak pulled low, the rider urged the massive black warhorse on towards the gate to the estate. As he passed the guardhouse the rider pulled back his cloak long enough to reveal his face and a tabard adorned with a bright red dragon. The guard let him pass with a nod. The rider arrived at the stables and quickly dismounted. He approached two finely dressed ladies and bowed deeply.
“Lady Svetlana, a missive for the Lord Steward. Formal channels were not appropriate for this letter, m’Lady.”
Roland again bowed deeply.
“If you have no need for me further, I will return to Stagfell. Thank you Lady Svetlana.”
“Thank you Roland, I will make sure this letter makes it to Lord Balian’s hands and is seen only by his eyes” and she quickly tucked away the letter.
“Thank you once again m’Lady.”
“Roland?”
“Yes m’Lady?”
“Is there any news from Stagfell? Any change with the Lord Baron?”
“No change m’Lady” Roland said with downcast eyes. He is still trapped in a prison of stone... I wish that I could do anything to free him. I know I speak out of turn, but I miss him…” Roland’s words trailed off and he lowered his eyes to the ground and there was a moment of silence.
“Thank you Roland. He will be freed. Do not lose hope.”
“Thank you m’Lady. I will make the return ride to Stagfell.”
Roland once again bowed deeply and mounted his horse. Without a word, the great stallion, Storm, turned and began the return journey to Stagfell.
***********
Inside the envelope handed to Lady Svetlana is the following letter:
Lord Balian,
I hope this letter finds you well. I apologize for the informal method of delivery, but I believe once you review the contents you will understand why the normal channels of communication were inappropriate in this instance.
Per your command I have joined the Heroes of Miras Adventurer’s Guild. Last night I received word to meet with a guild contact for the first assignment. I am pleased to admit that the moral character of the recruits I met seems to be of very high quality. Unfortunately, not all aspects of this assignment were as comforting.
We were tasked with bringing a halt to an unlicensed pit fighting ring operating within the city limits. With minimal investigation we were able to infiltrate the operation, which was running out of a basement on the west side of the city. Upon entering the premises, what we found was quite surprising.
Lord Jhod Kavken was in attendance, wagering on the match. I approached him privately and allowed him the dignity of a private exit before the operation was shut down. Lord Kavken obliged and advanced that his attendance was necessary to provide healing to the combatants, though I will tell you in this private correspondence that the man seemed consumed with high stakes gambling during the bouts.
We were able to shut down the match when the organizers were confronted with the standard of Miras and asked to provide a valid business license and taxation information. It is my pleasure to report that the men in charge of the operation turned themselves over without violence and the crowd was dispersed peacefully.
We did, however, tail a cloaked group of figures who left the match. Knowing the unfortunate history of cult activity within the city, our group wished to know for certain that something more nefarious was not at work. After tailing the group to a mill on the outskirts of town, conversation was overheard from the strangers within mentioning a ‘leader’ who would be displeased with the disruption of the match. Our group then made effort to track this ‘leader’ across a tributary of the river to a lone house.
Believing it was my duty to investigate; I approached the house and asked to speak to those inside. After a tense exchange and evasiveness and falsehoods from the manservant it was revealed to me that Stagfell’s own Writmaster was one of the cloaked individuals. I was confronted with a very uncomfortable situation. Trusting in the teaching of Abadar, I knew that a strict adherence to the law would lead one through all obstacles, so the Writmaster was confronted about his role in the operation. He did not deny his involvement, though he was evasive about culpability. Knowing that this individual should recognize the constraints of the law more so than any other, I felt it my best approach to treat him as I would any other citizen in the same situation. He was brought into custody and delivered to Castle Redemption to pay his fine. I must admit, once again privately to your eyes only, my concern that such a casual attitude to law and order is held by one who should champion these virtues.
In summary I have grave concerns about the potential for misuse of the Guild and its members. When confronted with a demand to know who had commissioned the guild on this matter, Hansel let it be known that a private business interest within the city had sponsored this mission. I think you can see now the potential for factions within the city to use the guild as a mercenary arm against one another. Several of the guild members are quite powerful individuals and it is my concern that with little direction that we may see disaster. I do not hold Hansel and his character or decision making in high regard. I would suggest that the guild be prohibited from taking on operations within the city limits unless given your (and your alone) explicit permission. I would also suggest that my public affiliation with the Riders of Miras compromises my ability to work as your operative within the guild. I am torn between public duty and the ability to truly act within guild parameters to divine how deep the rabbit hole may go, so to speak. It is my humble suggestion that I might be given a leave of absence from the Riders to both blunt suspicion and also to allow me to act without official expectations (though I will always endeavor to conduct myself with honor).
It is an unconventional suggestion, but I hope that my role as personal protector to the Lord Baron has given you faith in my ability to act with discretion on unconventional assignments. I believe that the Guild may be a powerful tool for good if guided by the right hand, but for the good of the kingdom we must keep a close eye on its activities, operational structure and leadership.
As part of this proposed plan, I would work within the guild and report to you on all activities through this same method of communication. If a threat to the kingdom ever required my services in an official capacity you would be free to recall me to active duty. Until then I would, however, stay undercover as your eyes and ears within the guild.
If this approach does not please you, I am more than willing to remain working in parallel with the Riders and Guild duty or to drop the Guild assignment completely if you so wish it.
I await your command.
Your humble servant,
Roland Lebeda, esquire
Rider of Miras

