Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Arcanum Duellis


[The following occurs the week before the kidnapping of Kressel and subsequent werewolf murders. The role of the wizard Mahr was played by our illustrious GM]

Raam Corso sat alone in his study flipping through the pages of a tome he recently procured from Brevoy. Its dusty pages were brittle and it was only with the utmost care that they did not crumble to dust as he carefully flipped the pages.

Raam had spent the day in negotiations with potential candidates to be hired as harbormaster for the new waterfront. The day had been tedious and the Baron was restless. As he looked through the window he could see by the position of the sun in the sky that Mahr would soon be off of his shift at The Dragon's Rest.

Raam stood up abruptly and carefully placed the book on the small table to his side. He left his study and discretely made way back to his private chambers. Once inside he quietly closed the door and made way to a large book case which lined the far wall. He ran his fingertips across the leather spines of the tomes until he came to one in particular. A completely anonymous volume bound in green leather. With a gentle tug the top half of the book was pulled back towards him. Immediately he could barely hear the machinations at work as the entire section of book shelf quietly swung forward to reveal a dark, stone passageway.

"Ingenious little kobolds" Raam whispered to himself. "Illuminatus" he said quietly and a soft light appeared in front of him bathing the path ahead in a gentle glow.

Raam closed the bookshelf behind him by tugging on a discretely placed lever of stone which almost perfectly blended into the surrounding rock. Once again the bookshelf began moving, this time to a close.

Through the dark passageway he traveled, down into the rock below the city. He made his way for a distance under the buildings and unaware townspeople overhead. To travel in such anonymity was a luxury for the Baron. He cherished the moment of solace.
Soon he came to a fork in the tunnel and took the right hand passageway which had a steep upward grade. Within fifty paces he came to a dead end. Knowing what to look for, he reached out and grabbed another lever hidden in the crags of the rock wall. He pulled and the rock face before him slid open revealing a dimly lit cellar. The Baron quickly stepped through the opening and sealed it behind him by tipping a small cask of whiskey backwards which sat unassumingly next to the secret door. Raam extinguished his magical light. He walked to the door at the end of the cellar with haste. With a wave of his fingertips he used a simple magical incantation to re-settle the dust he had disturbed.

At the door to the cellar he found the wizard Mahr waiting for him.

"Are you ready for your lesson?" the old wizard asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I am ready" replied the Baron with a slight smile.

Mahr cast a spell which shrouded them both in invisibility and they made their way through the bar, out into the city. No heads turned as they passed by. No exclamations of ‘M’Lord’ greated them at every turn. They went about their way completely undetected. For a moment a tired old dog laying on a porch sat up and growled weakly as they passed by, but within seconds it settled down and resumed its slumber. Soon they were out of the gates of Stagfell and traveled a ways off from the capital into a small pasture lined with snow.

Without a word spoken between them they moved to opposite sides of the pasture and faced each other. Mahr stood ready, staff in-hand, with his magical defenses already in place. He harumphed and raised his eyebrows quizzically, waiting for Raam to attack him. He looked almost bored.

"Well Baron, what do you have for me?"

Another smile crept across the face of the Baron. He dashed forward and raised his arms in incantation. A blast of light and colors flew from his fingertips.
Mahr took a readied step backwards just out of range before Raam completed the casting and swung his staff around in a readied position. Mahr nodded.
"Very good, an effective spell and one that does not harm innocents should any be in the way. But cantrips such as that will do you no good against more powerful foes!"
"As a sorcerer, your spells will evolve naturally with focus and practice into more powerful applications. Some weaker arcane manifestations will be lost to you."

Raam bowed deeply to Mahr.

"I have had much success with that spell in the past. It is efficient and you are correct, it does not harm innocents.”
Raam began to slowly circle to the left while continuing the conversation. “I have recently acquired the ability to cast invisibility. Can you provide me with any techniques or strategies to use this new spell to my advantage? How might it best be used to combat enemy mages?" While circling and speaking, Raam kept his focus trained on the wizard. He looked for any sign of incantation, yet cherished the opportunity to have a conversation with the wizened scholar.

"Also, I have had many dreams of flying in the last month. I usually find that I dream of new spells before they appear to me. Can you provide me with insight on how to maneuver and navigate when I am able to harness the power of flying spellcraft? I do not wish to fly aloft only to look and feel like a fool, unable to control my speed or trajectory."
"Flying? You don't say, hmm. That is interesting. Best means to learn is by doing. Perhaps I can arrange that. Though be careful you don't make yourself an unwitting target. The ability to fly is a useful tool but can expose you to a larger field of view. Invisibility will aid you should you get caught in the open."
Mahr casually launched three magic missiles into the air that flew lazily in a wide arc towards Raam from three different directions.
"Do you know the proper counter for force missiles? They are useful for striking difficult targets from a distance and for striking incorporeal beings such as wraiths or shadows. Force magic always affects them where normal magic is only partially effective."

[Raam quickly pulled out his new wand of shield and casts the spell from the wand.]

"I believe this will prove sufficient" Raam said, while trying to keep an eye on all three missiles heading towards him. “I have the force missile spell in an old and dear wand, but I believe its charges are coming to an end. I have been studying the spell in hopes that I may soon learn to cast it without the need for the wand."
[The invisible shield conjured by the wand absorbs all three missiles with an audible pop as each strikes the barrier]

"Sometimes I wish, that like you I were able to study spells from a book and have them within my grasp. I believe, however, there is something to be said for whatever is stirring in my blood that provides me with these powers. Hopefully it is part of some grand design. I have been studying many arcane tomes in hopes of finding out more about my abilities and my own past. It is a complicated knot which I have barely begun to unravel."

"Are you growing weary of my questions and this lesson or do you have more in store for me today, Mahr? I am quite enjoying this. I rarely get a chance to speak with those interested in the arcane arts."
"Hmph, enjoying eh? Perhaps a little something to catch your attention then! You choice of energy is fire, is it not?"
A glowing sphere of flame winked into existence above Raam and lowered itself closer. At first the heat did not bother Raam at all but every so often the flame heated up enough to cause him some mild discomfort.
Mahr made a gesture with his hand completing the spell and blew a cone of chill white breath across one palm in the direction of the sphere. Its flames suddenly turned blue and began sucking the warmth from Raam's skin which made it hard for him to concentrate. Frost formed on Raam’s eyelids that scattered when he blinked.
"A single form of magical energy, a tad predictable isn't it? …easy to prepare defenses against. …particularly for foes of a certain prominent and well known sorcerer king!"
[Raam takes 7 points of cold damage]
"I find that lofty, grand designs belong more in story book fairy tales that are read to children. The world is full of the cold, calculated machinations of ruthless and deadly people! All of them vying against one another for power. Such is the way of the world, the world of men!"

Through chattering teeth Raam replied "I agree, I dare not become too predictable, though I imagine that I will always have a certain affinity for flame. I have begun researching ways I might replace the fire of my spells with other forces such as lightning or even amplified sound energies. I have a tome on order in Restov which will supposedly aid me in this research."

With that Raam twisted his arms and hands in incantation and disappeared from sight. He began to circle the wizard once again.

"Now Mahr, I know you are my superior in spellcraft, but I do not wish to use my most powerful magic for fear they may cause you harm. Should I truly show you my capabilities?"

Mahr raised a single eyebrow.

"That would be the entire purpose of this excercise Lord Corso. No one told you the study of magecraft would be easy or safe I hope? I have already prepared my magical defenses. I do not expect you to overcome them."
Mahr gathered up some of his robe in one hand while holding his staff out in a readied position began slowly side-stepping, his gaze casting about. His brows furrowed with concentration and the freezing sphere moved about in a rolling search pattern.

"Invisibility magic is easily overcome. It’s best used against unprepared or unskilled foes. Some creatures possess superior senses and will be able to find you regardless. Have you ever heard of the Arcanum Duellis?"

Raam blinked into view again as a crackling ray of intense flame fired from his outstretched hands directly at Mahr. He held an ornate magical wooden rod gilded in fine gold in his right hand. The magic of the rod silenced his casting so as not to betray his position.

[Raam casts scorching Ray at Mahr using his Lesser Rod of Silence]

"No I have not. I fear my formal training has been limited to only that which I have gleaned from dusty tomes during my own studies."

Raam then quickly began to move to the left to circle behind Mahr and started preparing his next spell.
The Scorching Ray flashed as it blazed against an unseen barrier inches from Mahr's shoulder [fire resistance 20, resist energy spell]. Mahr spun around to face Raam and thrust the head of his staff forward. A sapphire missile streaks out and struck Raam in the chest which stole his breath away.
[Raam takes 5 points of ongoing non-lethal damage (acid arrow + merciful spell metamagic) that will force him to make concentration checks to cast.]
"Formal training is overrated." Mahr swung his staff back to the ground and leaned forward on it.
"The Arcanum Duellis is a power of invocation between two practitioners. Once invoked their spells deal no damage in spell combat but the pain they inflict can be quite real, I assure you. I will teach you this." Mahr stood ready again.
"Now, try again to penetrate my defenses."

The scene in the pasture continued on as Baron Raam exhausted his repertoire of spells and Mahr countered every casting.

[Mahr has the following spells up (but is holding back a few more defensive spells in case Raam has something he did not expect to see).
Protection from Evil
Resist Energy (Fire 20)
See Invisibility
Shield]
"I was well prepared for the battle with time and foresight on my side” quipped Mahr. “A marked advantage and the key to battlefield wizardry. The advantages in sorcerery are quite different. While a wizard may have very specific tools that can handle unique circumstances very, very effectively -- they can typically only do so once, maybe twice, but no more. When a sorcerer has learned to develop skills and abilities that will handle many different situations effectively, they can be virtually unstoppable. The first key is foreknowledge and the foresight to develop magical talent in areas you will find useful in many situations."
Mahr lectured Raam confidently, although the Baron can see that the spell battle had exhausted the man a bit.
"But those are lessons for another time" Mahr remarked. He stood up on creaking knees and cast one final spell on Raam with a flourish. At that moment the Baron’s feet lifted off the ground and he began to soar upward. “Try this for a bit, I bet you are a natural” Mahr shouted upward to the floating Baron. “You can gain some practice maneuvering and get a feel for it.”
"It’s not as easy as it looks!" Mahr shouted up at the rapidly receding shape of Raam.
----------

Raam flew aloft in complete joy. The snow covered pasture slowly gave way before him as he rose in the air. Raam had never felt this kind of rush. In a million paces on hundreds of roads he never felt as at home as he did now in the air. By merely willing it so by a simple thought he flew higher. He dove down and arced upwards again in a wide loop. At times he would lose control and with a steadying moment of concentration he once again regained balance. He flew in the direction of Stagfell, watching the countryside pass by underneath him. As he grew closer to the city he cast invisibility so as not to be spotted by the city watch or the townspeople. The thought of them spying the flying Baron made him chuckle to himself.

The sound of small wings flapping nearby caught Raam off-guard. The moment after the initial shock a wide grin crossed the face of the Baron. Raam suddenly felt the familiar grip of Parlivash on his shoulder. The faerie dragon cackled in excitement and purred with joy to have his friend aloft with him soaring over the castle. They moved in unison and dove towards the Baron’s open window. Within seconds they both landed gently on the open window sill.
Raam fell exhausted into the plush chair in the corner of his private chambers. Within moments he was in a blissful sleep. Once again he dreamed of flying.