Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dear Father,


Dear Father,
I hope this letter finds you well. Much has transpired since our parting. I have spent many hours and days in reflection in the time that has passed since I left the estate. My journey has been comprised of moments of great peril and adventure and yet riddled with periods of solace in the wilds where a man is left with only one's thoughts as a companion.
I will begin with a summary of the events, which lead me to this moment where I sit here, with quill in hand, penning the letter you now read. On my journey from the estate I made way to the city of Restov, thinking I may find direction in the city on the frontier. Not a moment after entering the city I was arrested on false charges! Abadar's teachings are falling upon deaf ears in that city, father. I was taken into custody and forced to either face this travesty of justice or agree to sign a contract to explore the wilderness and rid them of the bandits plaguing the lands. It is by this means of trumped up charges and conscription that they planned to bring civilization to the wilds! I was placed in a line of many young men who had fallen victim to the same treachery.
Knowing that my fortunes would be grim indeed if I were to fight this government mandated conspiracy and knowing not what the next day would bring, I reluctantly agreed to sign the contract and make way to a small outpost on the frontier. By way of carriage we rode out to a location to the west known as Oleg's Trading Post.
That night under the glow of a full moon, our guides abandoned us as we were set upon by a pack of enormous wolves. I was left alone to defend a young woman, the sole traveler sharing my carriage. Our fate seemed sealed as the large wolves circled us and attacked from every direction. At that moment the strange manifestations of arcane power, you bore witness to, erupted within me. Fire shot forth from my hands and scorched the infernal beasts. I can assure you father, that this is not a black magik. Nor is it granted from some wicked deity. It is a power within my blood! It is not unlike the magik of wizards and yet I do not need to study tome or scroll to cast spells. The powers come from within. Even with the flames shooting forth from my hands, the pack was still intent upon devouring us. I could not hold them off and soon the woman I was protecting was bitten by a large black beast with blood soaked fangs.
As she cried out in pain, Abadar must have been watching over us as a group of traveling men heard our cries and came to our rescue. Within moments the beasts were slain and medical attention was given to the young woman. These men had been conscripted under the same false charges that befell me in Restov!
The group was composed of as disparate a group of men as I had ever seen. Amongst them was: a cavalier of the Orlavsky house, a young noble named Balian. A large priest of Serenrae from the lands of Qadir, who wields a mighty curved blade, rode with them. An odd elf who specialized in all manner of arcane concoctions traveled with the group along with an agent of Cayden Cailean. Though this group of companions was unlike any I had met in my life, they were good men of noble purpose. They had saved my life and I pledged to travel with them to repay the debt, which I surely owed these men.
On the way to Oleg's they shared tales of the wilderness they had already explored and the bandits they had brought to justice. At that moment I decided that with little else in my life in terms of direction or purpose, that I would join these men in their quest. I would bring civilization to the wilderness and help to eliminate the bandits who had preyed upon the innocents of this land for too long.
Over several months time we explored many strange lands. We met many men and women, some honorable and some treacherous. We did battle with all manner of evil beasts...worgs, trolls and worse! Bandit after evil bandit fell prey to the swords and arrows of the group and to my magik. The experience of each battle honed and expanded my powers. I used them to protect my friends and defend the lives of innocents. I felt moments where I was sure that I was finally upholding the Corso name. I felt a kinship with you and the tales of your battles that I always pleaded with you to share before heading to bed as a child.
It was not long before our group took up arms against the great Stag Lord, leader of all bandit forces in the area. After a tremendous battle within the walls of his fortress we emerged victorious! For this accomplishment we were handed a writ proclaiming the conquered lands as ours to lead under our own flag! The gift of a tiny kingdom! The honor of leading this land and these men has fallen upon my shoulders, father.
Our town is small. We have the renovated keep, a fine mill, a smithy, a comfortable inn and many settler's homes and farms. Our lands and militia grow by the day. Each of my companions has take up a role in the leadership of this community. As I pen this letter I hear the sound of steel against steel as Balian trains a group of horsemen to protect our settlers in the fields below.
It is with him in mind that I have finally summoned the courage to pen this letter to you, father. Balian is as noble and honorable man as I have met in my life. I fear he has suffered much in his short time in this world and yet he dedicates himself to endlessly serving those around him.
Early in his journey he was attacked by the darkest of foes, a cursed black knight. During the battle the hellspawn’s blade drove into Balian’s flesh and he subsequently fell prey to a black curse. A fey demon known as Meritus siezed upon the wound as a gateway from the shadow realm and took control of a piece of the cavalier’s soul! He now lives in fear of the moment the black demon will return to harm those he cares for.
I know in your youth you fought many such demons under Abadar’s banner. What advice or aid can you lend in helping to defeat this foul creature? I ask this not for myself but for Balian. I would invite you to speak with the man as you would soon grow to appreciate his character as much as I have through out our time together.
Is there someone we may contact to help Balian with his plight? Some manner of strategy to deal with this demon?
I know that it seems unbecoming to rejoin our ties with a request for a favor, father. I have many regrets from our days together. The time I have spent out in the world amongst it’s many peoples and the newfound commitments and responsibilities I have as Baron of this fledgling kingdom.... they have humbled me. I was a petulant child father. I see now what you wanted me to become. I see now why you so honored the values you hold dear. I see now why I so disappointed you in the direction my life was headed. I humbly plead for your forgiveness and ask if we can start again anew?
Please say a word over mother’s grave for me. If it pleases you, I would like to return to the estate soon to visit with you and Kalek. I would like to return to speak these words in person.
Your son,
Raam Corso
Baron of The Greenbelt