Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Theodric Neverion

I knew as soon as I punched that drunken sot, that it was a mistake, but I couldn't stop myself Noble Sword-lord or no the knave deserved it. As I saw his head jerk back from my fist connecting with his nose, feeling the bones under my knuckles break, I also knew I would be leaving my home in New Stetven. I really loved it here, living with my mother and my Uncle, working at Uncle Hane’s bar growing up with all the laughter, liquor and fighting. I will remember it as the happiest time of my life, but this rummy had it coming.

He should have never laid hands on Silva. I have known her almost all of my life her mother worked at my Uncle’s bar and we grew up together, she was almost like a sister to me. I warned her not to work at the bar, but she was headstrong and wanted to do it. I warned her that a girl as pretty as her could find a handsome man with a good trade and settle down have kids and not have to deal with topers like this one. But no, she wanted to work here at my Uncles for some strange reason and now there she stands ripped dress, a bloody lip and her hair all mess. Yeah, I knew as soon as I walked into the private drinking room and saw Silva standing there with tears in her eyes looking ripped dress and Philip Surtova grinning lecherously at her, that I would be leaving town soon. Even if this tosspot was a Sword-lord and a Surtova it didn’t matter he still should treat the ladies with a certain amount of dignity, specially Silva. The souser went down like sack of barley, I stood over him looking at his bleeding face thinking well I did want to get out and see more of the world, I guess this would be my reason to do so.

Rechale my mother came in behind me through the doorway and help Silva with her her dress, she looked at the Philip on the floor and then at me she spoke with quick and even tone, “Go see your Uncle Hane quickly tell him what happened, then ask him to give you some travelling money, then gather up what you can and head south Theo, we will contact you as soon as this cools down.” I looked at the soaker on the ground then looked at Silva and my mother, “I’m sorry” I stammered. My mother looked up at me, I could see the fear and sadness entering her eyes, “You knew better Theo, but it was not your fault, he had it coming for what he did to Silva now get moving.” I took one long last look at Silva and fled down the hall.

As grabbed my belonging my Uncle Hane walked into my room, he looked at me, I could see the concern in the way his bushy gray eyebrows creased together, he then strode up to me and slapped my back. He slipped a bag of coins in my pocket, “Safe travels, Theo, don’t worry about your mother or Silva, I will take care of them, just get ye south and hide out for a few months till all this blows over.” I clasped my Uncle’s arm and gave it a firm shake, “Thanks Uncle Hane.”, he looked at me for a second and then pulled me closer to hug my in his burly arms. “Just be safe Theo”, he said as held me for a second, “your like a son to me.” I squeezed him just as hard, “I love you too Uncle Hane.” with that I stepped back wiped the tears from my eyes and turned towards the hallway that led to the back door of the bar and out into the alley.

As I turned the corner and ran done the alley, I smacked into a wall of moving chain-mail. “Excuse me” I blurted out looking up into the tanned face of a man with a beaming smile. The heavily accented voice that responded back to me was deep and warm befitting a man of his massive size, “Oh no, it is no problem, let me help you up there”, as he reached down to help me up. Taking his massive hand I was surprised at how strong this man was, he practically lifted me up off the ground with one hand. As I stood there I could just start to hear the yells of Phillip’s friends coming from inside my Uncle’s bar, the big man was helping me brush the dust of my clothes.

“My name is Theo kind sir, what is yours?”, he looked at me then said with a bow, “My name is Zuhair Al-Hassien warrior priest of Saranae”. Looking at the massive man with the just as massive sword strapped to his back I figured I just found an ally or a patsy, “Well, Zuhair is it, “I owe you for so rudely running into you like that perhaps you would like drink, let me buy you all the wine you can drink it is the least I can do, I insist.” I watched Zuhair’s eyes light up as he licked his parched lips, “Well, I was just heading out of town to spread the wonderful light of Saranae to common people.”, I glanced down the alley,”Well, then it’s settled let me travel with you and you can share my wineskin with you, i would love to hear more about this Saranae you preach of.” Zuhair smiled came back to his dark face, “Oh, that would be most perfect, I could use a friend with a full wineskin on these dusty roads.” and with that we set off together blending into the throng of people on the street walking together heading south out of town. “You know Zuhair, I hear they have some nice vintage wine in Restov and they are full of people who could definitely use the divine light of Saranae in their life.” Zuhair smiled and laughed a hearty laugh, “Then Restov it is my small friend”